Pages

How to Fix Write-Protected Read-Only Drives

There are lots of guide for unlock drive that is WRITE PROTECTED, but most of the guide are for drives that have Write Protect Switch. What if the drives does not have any kind of switch?
  1. Open Command Prompt, right-click - Run as administrator
  2. When the command console opens, type DISKPART
  3. List the drives by typing LIST DISK  
  4. Select the USB drive by typing  SELECT DISK 1 (if disk 1 is your USB drive)
  5. Inspect the details for that disk by typing  DETAIL DISK
    Check if the disk is marked as Read-only - e.g.

DISKPART > DETAIL DISK
TOSHIBA MK2559GSXP USB Device
Disk ID: EF78DCD3
Type   : USB
Status : Online
Path   : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
Current Read-only State : Yes
Read-only  : Yes
Boot Disk  : No
Pagefile Disk  : No
Hibernation File Disk  : No
Crashdump Disk  : No
Clustered Disk  : No
  Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
  Volume 5     H   RMPARTUSB    NTFS   Partition    232 GB  Healthy

Note: It is also possible to mark a volume as read-only, so try  LIST VOLUME and SELECT VOLUME F: (where F: is your USB drive letter) and then DETAIL VOLUME to list the attributes.

**If it says 'Read-only: NO' in Diskpart but shows as 'Read-Only' in Disk Manager, then the disk is probably physically write-protected (or perhaps write-protected by the firmware in the device's internal controller). In this case the following procedure will have little affect! You should look for a write-protect (aka 'Lock' or maybe a padlock symbol) switch on the device.

**If you are sure that none exists, consider re-programming the controller firmware

Reference :
Repair your USB flash drive
How to fix write protected disks
How to fix write protection errors on a USB stick
Removing the write-protection on a USB Memory Stick or SD Card - a beginner's guide

10 comments:

  1. Solution thumb drive PenDrive S.L.I.Q 3.0 using Phison MPALL V3.63 PS2251 and Phison MPALL v3.60.0B (PS2251) from http://flashboot.ru/files/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Windows 8 to go screwed my USB with same as mentioned in this post...and the Windows 8 to go does NOT even work...now I am much lost this 16G USB.
    MS does not wanted to help so is the manufactory..as you screwed your USB..you likely needed to buy another...what a dirty business these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont throw your USB yet. You can still reprogram your USB as follows;

      1. Checking your Chip Vendor and Part-Number using tools such as Chip Genius
      2. Download firmware from http://flashboot.ru/iflash/
      3. Finally, reprogram your USB using tools such as MP (Mass Production) Tool

      Delete
    2. Can you explain the process please, I was trying to do the same but not success yet

      Delete
  3. Hello.., I found problem like this. How to fix it. thanks.

    DISKPART > DETAIL DISK
    TOSHIBA MK2559GSXP USB Device
    Disk ID: EF78DCD3
    Type : USB
    Status : Online
    Path : 0
    Target : 0
    LUN ID : 0
    Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
    Current Read-only State : Yes
    Read-only : No
    Boot Disk : No
    Pagefile Disk : No
    Hibernation File Disk : No
    Crashdump Disk : No
    Clustered Disk : No

    Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    Volume 5 H RMPARTUSB NTFS Partition 232 GB Healthy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same issue with the "current read-only state: yes". I was trying to figure out why I was not able to delete photos from my SD memory card when I right click the folder. There was no DELETE listed in the drop down window. I uninstalled the driver for my SD memory card reader and then reinstalled the driver. That fixed my issue. The delete option is now listed in the drop down window, when I right click on the picture folder. After reinstalling the driver, I ran a diskpart. The current read-only state is now no. I have a fairly new computer with the Windows 8 operating system. My guess is when my computer done an update, that's when the my issue started. I remember being able to delete photos from my SD memory cards before, when I first got the computer. Oh well, stuff happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to Yaakub Idris post, I was able to reprogram it and finally resolve the problem which no other solution worked for. With no switch for write-protection on the device, I was previously unable to remove write-protection using regedit, diskpart, and other linux tools. Finally with SM Tools and the correct chipset identification using Chip Genius, it has worked like a treat! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Andreas Whelan,

    How did you this ? please tell us over here because I was trying the same method but I was not able to do..so please help us here !

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Popular Posts